Thursday 15 May 2014

Nigerian Artists Claim To BE What They Are Not –Duncan Mighty

Port Harcourt-based singer, Duncan Mighty, speaks on the state of the Nigerian entertainment scene, writes E-Punch

Self-styled Port Harcourt first son, Duncan ‘Wene’ Mighty, is often considered to be Nigeria’s most ‘famous anonymous artiste’, by music critics. This irony stems from the fact that despite his hits, Port Harcourt Boy, Obianuju, Dance 4 Me, Kolliwater, Sanko and Jesus Bu Eze, his face is not seen everywhere like that of other successful singers in the country.

At a time when many artistes based outside of Lagos choose to relocate to the state to harness opportunities and win more fans, the Port Harcourt born singer says he has none of such plans.

Choosing to allow his songs speak for him, the reggae/dancehall artiste, who embraced stardom after the release of his debut offering entitled Koliwater in 2006, appears contented with plying his trade in the South-South region of the country where he is reverred.


He tells E-Punch, “I conquered the Lagos market with my first album and I think Nigerian artistes should be able to maximise fame and victory from any part of the country. The fact that I remain in PH city has attracted more entertainment stakeholders to the state, thereby boosting their popularity. I wish other Nigerian celebrities can do or say same about their states of origin.”

Over time the ostentatious lifestyle of most Nigerian artistes is a source of concern for fans worried about their investments for the future. Considering the unstable nature of ‘superstardom,’ many who fail to plan suffer for it.

The singer wants his colleagues to be modest in their dealings.

“A lot of Nigerian artistes’ lead fake lives. They claim to be what they are not, just because they want to meet up their peers and fellow artistes. I live in my own house (it has a swimming pool, lounge and studio) and I make bold to say I didn’t buy it. I built it from the scratch. But a lot of these artistes will claim they bought a house for N300m or N400m.
“But I didn’t spend up to that amount to build my house. If you have that amount, say N500m, you don’t go and buy one property. There are many things to do with money. They claim they have state-of-the-art cars, but that is not my priority. I have choice cars, but it takes a lot of money to maintain such cars.”

   The 30-year-old artiste, who says he offers to collaborate freely with any talented artiste in his state, is also taking pride in being the “first Nigerian audio engineer to be trained by Avid Switzerland to use leading mixing console, Venue Sc 48.’’
“I will be conducting a music seminar / workshop to teach producers, singers, instrumentalists, sound engineers and musical artiste how to make hits out of every recording regardless of the studio or audio gadget they use,” he says of his plans.
While very little is known about his personal life, the singer discredits a recent report which claims he was dating an actress.
“I don’t know where that report emanated from. I am not involved with any Nollywood star and that was purely the work of mischief makers who want to tarnish my image. I am not in any relationship with anyone.”
Despite boasting of the fame and attention, he admits missing his privacy and living like the average man on the street.
“Fame has deprived me of so many local activities. I used to eat ‘mama put,’ – roadside menu – playing football on the street and engaging in the Ikwerre traditional wrestling contest. But because fans are always all over me I hardly have my privacy now. “
Source- Punchg

No comments:

Post a Comment